Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks
30 minutes preparation time, 6-10 hours cooking time
Extra virgin olive oil (garlic infused if desired)
2 lamb shanks
5cm leek, green part only, finely chopped
2/3 cup zucchini (130g) chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 cup black pitted olives
1 large handful green beans, trimmed
½ cup red wine
1 handful parsley, roughly chopped
Cracked pepper, to taste
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a slow cooker on ‘sear mode’. Add lamb shanks and cook, turning frequently, until all surfaces are evenly browned.
- Add leek and sear for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Turn slow cooker off sear mode and add zucchini, capsicum, wine and water, along with herbs.
- Mix ingredients so that the lamb shanks are immersed in the vegetable and herb sauce.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook for at least 6 hours on low.
- Add the green beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking, or alternatively, steam them and add them at the end.
Note: If your slow cooker does not have ‘sear’ mode, follow steps 1 and 2 using a non-stick frying pan. Transfer lamb shanks and leek into a slow cooker and continue with step 3.