French Toast with Caramelised Banana
15 minutes preparation time, 25-30 minutes cooking time
8 slices thick-cut traditional white sourdough (see article on selecting low FODMAP varieties)
2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or lactose-free milk)
3 tsp vanilla essence
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp caster sugar
Canola spray oil
3 medium just ripe bananas, sliced
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
Maple syrup, to serve.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (or 180 °C fan forced), and line a large tray with baking paper.
- In a shallow bowl whisk milk, eggs, vanilla, and 1 tsp of the cinnamon. Soak each slice of bread, one slice at a time, in the mixture for about 15 seconds each side – then place onto prepared tray.
- In a small bowl, combine caster sugar and remaining cinnamon. Sprinkle both sides of each slice of bread with this cinnamon sugar.
- Spray bread lightly with oil and place in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden, turning once.
- While the French toast is in the oven, combine butter and brown sugar in a shallow fry-pan over low-heat until melted. Bring to a light simmer, then add in sliced banana. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, coating banana in mixture.
- Top French toast with the warm caramelised banana, maple syrup and a dollop of lactose-free yoghurt or lactose-free ice-cream.