Dark Chocolate Truffles
45 minutes preparation time +refrigeration, 10-15 minutes cooking time
For the truffles
500g dark chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons maple syrup
125g unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ – 1 tsp rum essence (OPTIONAL)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon gluten-free flour, sifted
100g white chocolate, melted
1 cup desiccated coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 220°C (or 160 °C fan forced), and grease + line a 20cm round spring form pan with baking paper.
- Combine the chocolate, maple syrup and butter in a small bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stir occasionally until melted. Take off heat to let cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla (+ rum essence if desired) with an electric mixer on high for 8-10 minutes until thick and pale (important to beat for this time length).
- Fold in the sifted flour, then the chocolate mixture until combined. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 10 minutes (centre will not be set). Remove from oven and run a knife around the edge of the cake. Remove collar from spring form pan and place the cake to the fridge overnight.
- Gently compress semi-set cake with hands and roll into tbsp size balls.
- Roll balls in coconut, then drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour. Enjoy!
Makes approx. 30 truffles