Meatballs and Zoodles
20 minutes preparation time, 2 hours cooking time
500g lean beef mince
2 carrots, grated
3 spring onions, green part only, finely chopped
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 Tbsp plain gluten free flour
Garlic infused extra virgin olive oil to grease pan
400g can diced tomatoes
250g packet zoodles (or 250g zuchinni to spiralise your own)
250g packet sweet potato spaghetti (or 250g sweet potato or carrot to spiralise your own)
Fresh herbs for sprinkling
- Pre heat oven to 180o
- In a large bowl combine mince, carrot, green parts of spring onions, mixed herbs, egg and flour.
- Divide mixture into heaped tablespoon size portions and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, or turn your slow cooker to a sear setting. Add meatballs and cook for 2-4 minutes, constantly rotating to evenly sear the surface of each meatball.
- If using a frying pan, now transfer the meatballs to a slowcooker. Cover with passata and a can of diced tomatoes. Cook on high for 1.5-2hrs or until cooked through.
- Once meatballs have cooked, bring a saucepan of water to boil.
- Chop the ends off zucchini and place in spiralizer if making your own zoodles, repeat for sweet potato or carrot. If you don’t have a spiraliser, peel long strips using a vegetable peeler.
- Add zoodles and sweet potato/carrot spaghetti to a steamer and place in saucepan on top of boiling water (or microwave as per packet instructions, if bought).
- Serve meatballs over combined zoodles and sweet potato or carrot spaghetti, and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
Makes approximately 20 meatballs
Note: If you don’t want to use all the meatballs, set some aside prior to cooking at step 5 and freeze to use at a later date.
Note: If you would prefer to use pasta instead of zoodles, gluten free pasta is a great choice.
Note: 1 low FODMAP serving of zucchini is 65g, so ensure to stick to the recipe of 250g for 4 servings
Note: 1 low FODMAP serving of sweet potato is 75g, so ensure to stick to the recipe of 250g for 4 servings
Please Log in to view this content.