Low FODMAP Lemon Macadamia Shortbread
15-20 minutes preparation time, 40-45 minutes cooking time
250g unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup caster sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
2 heaped teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
2 cups gluten-free plain flour, sifted
½ cup rice flour, sifted
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160°C (or 140 °C fan forced), and grease + line a 20cm rectangle slice pan with baking paper (long ends hanging over edges).
- Beat the butter, vanilla, lemon zest sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- Add the combined flours beating on low speed until nearly combined.
- Add the macadamias, and mix in with hands, then bring the dough together in a ball in the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes, until smooth.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan, then prick with a fork. Score the shortbread in half length-ways, then score by width to form 16 shortbread slices.
- Bake the shortbread in oven for 40-45 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut scored slices completely and dust with gluten-free icing sugar
Makes 16 shortbread slices