Lamb and Vegetable Buckwheat Salad
10-15 minutes preparation time, 45 minutes cooking time
400g lamb backstrap
200g Jap pumpkin, peeled and chopped
1 green capsicum, chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup raw buckwheat
4 cups baby spinach leaves
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Olive oil spray
- Pre-heat oven to 200o
- Evenly arrange chopped pumpkin, capsicum and zucchini on a baking tray lined with paper.
- Grind nigella, mustard and cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle. Sprinkle half of this spice mix over the vegetables. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in oven for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, boil a small saucepan of water.
- Whilst water is boiling, heat a small non-stick fry pan and add the raw buckwheat. Toast the buckwheat in the pan for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly, and then add to boiling water.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until buckwheat has just cooked. Drain and rinse buckwheat with cold water. Allow to cool.
- Heat a barbeque/grill to high.
- Cook lamb backstrap for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest.
- Mix olive oil and remaining spice mix in a small bowl.
- Combine roasted vegetables, baby spinach and buckwheat in a bowl and toss through dressing.
- Arrange vegetable and buckwheat salad onto plates and top with thinly sliced lamb.