Chloe’s Dad’s Kiwi Marinated Squid
10 minutes preparation, 2 hours marinating time, 8 minutes cooking time
2 squid hoods, cleaned
¼ cup gluten free self raising flour
8 kiwi fruit, peeled
1 tsp cracked peppercorns
1 tsp sumac
½ tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp rice bran oil
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Using a large knife, slice down one edge of each squid hood. Open the squid out flat with the inside surface facing up. Score the surface diagonally and then cut the squid into 2 cm long strips. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend kiwi fruit, pour over squid and toss until covered. Cover with plastic wrap or lid, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Drain squid and rinse off excess kiwi marinade if desired.
- Combine gluten free flour, sumac, salt and pepper in a large plastic freezer bag.
- Add the squid to the bag, seal, and shake well until squid pieces are coated in the seasoning.
- Heat a large frying pan to high heat. Add the oil and cook the squid for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally until golden and just cooked. Squid pieces will begin to coil. Remove squid from the pan.
- Divide squid between plates and serve with a wedge of lemon.
Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a starter