Chicken and Vegetable Soup
20-30 minutes preparation time, 60 minutes cooking time
500g skinless chicken (thigh or legs work best), cut into bite size chunks
1 leek (green portion only), halved, thinly sliced
2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 parsnip, peeled and finely chopped
2 small zucchini, diced
1 swede, peeled and diced
1 bunch silver beet, leaves only, roughly chopped
1 cup quinoa
1L low FODMAP stock
1 Tbsp garlic infused extra virgin olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 tsp turmeric
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and chicken. Cook until chicken changes colour, then add carrots, parsnip, zucchini and swede, followed by quinoa, stock, water, herbs and spices. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- At this time remove the chicken from the soup and allow to cool slightly before shredding into thin strips.
- Return the chicken back to the saucepan along with the chopped silver beet. Fold through, and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.
- Season with pepper and serve.
Note: This soup works just as well without the chicken. For a vegetarian option simply omit the chicken and use a vegetable stock.
Note: This soup freezes particularly well, so is great for planning meals ahead of time.