15-20 minutes preparation time, 10-12 minutes cooking time
2 cups gluten free plain flour (soy free)
2 ½ cups quinoa flakes (or rolled oats, if not coeliac/gluten intolerant)
1 ¼ cups desiccated coconut
1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
100g chopped macadamias
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
8 tbsp water
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Preheat oven to 200°C (or 180°C fan-forced). Line flat large trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine flour, quinoa flakes (or oats), coconut, sugar and macadamias.
- Melt butter, golden syrup and maple syrup in a small pan over a low heat. Bring to the boil then remove from heat. Add to the dry ingredients whilst still hot, mixing with a wooden spoon. Add in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine water and bicarb soda. Add to the mix.
- Mix dough together by hand until ingredients all come together.
- Roll dough into tablespoon-sized balls and place on lined baking tray. Flatten biscuits before placing in the oven (as they don’t spread too much).
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes (10 minutes for a softer/chewy biscuit, or 12 minutes if you prefer a crunchy biscuit).
- Cool on a wire rack and enjoy with a nice cuppa!
Makes 28 biscuits