Many of us will be travelling over this coming holiday period, often via car. I love a good road trip, but a key essential is handy road trip snacks. This is particularly important for those following a low FODMAP diet, as finding suitable food options on the go can be a challenge. So, we’ve compiled some of our favourite low FODMAP road trip snack options for your next holiday!
You can never go wrong with fruit, providing it is a low FODMAP variety/portion and stored appropriately that is. Some delicious low FODMAP summer fruits to pack on your next road trip are:
- Grapes(all kinds)
- Raspberries (60g serve limit, which equates to ~½ a 125g punnet)
- Blueberries (40g serve limit, which equals ~1/3 of a 125g punnet)
Nuts are a great road trip snack option. However, choosing a low FODMAP variety is important:
- Brazil nuts
As nuts are high in fat, too much could trigger symptoms. For this reason, it is best to stick to an appropriate serving size of 30g (approx a small handful).
3. Veggie sticks
Like with fruit, veggie sticks are a great road trip option to munch on as long as you choose low fodmap varieties and portions… such as:
- Red capsicum
4. Snack bars
It is important to choose a low FODMAP muesli bar, as a majority will not be. Some great options are:
5. Salty savoury snacks
For trips where you feel like something salty, the following are good low FODMAP options to choose:
- Plain/salted air-popped popcorn
- Plain rice crackers
- Thin rice cakes or Arnott’s corn Cruskits (1 serve = 2 rice cakes/Cruskits). Delicious with peanut butter or cottage cheese.
- Plain salted potato chips (avoid flavoured varieties)
If you’re a sweet tooth and enjoy the occasional biscuit, then consider taking the following low FODMAP biscuit options on your next road trip:
- Kez’s gluten-free biscuit range
- Arnott’s rice cookies
- Table of Plenty mini dark chocolate rice cakes (individual portion packs are great!)