Being organized with your food when going to work is essential when following a low FODMAP diet, as low FODMAP eating at work can be incredibly difficult!
Depending on the location of your work place, healthy, Low FODMAP options to eat at work may be few and far between. Or, maybe you are often out with colleagues or clients for meals, a situation most do not want to make a fuss in. So, how to manage?
Here are my top 5 strategies for low FODMAP eating at work:
- Plan in advance, and if you can, take an appropriate meal in with you. Leftovers can work really well here, cutting down on meal prep time, and shopping costs.
- If heading to a restaurant or café, check the menu in advance. This can help you make a choice before you arrive.
- If there are no suitable options, give the restaurant/café a call and ask if anything can be changed, or ask when you’re ordering if ‘x’ can be left out please; in most cases, they will be more than happy to help out. If not, have a larger snack before you go, so you don’t end up hungry, or feeling unwell. In some instances, doing your best to just pick high FODMAP foods out of your order as you see them (eg picking onion out of your salad) is best case scenario, and can often work well.
- Speak with a colleague you know you can trust. Having someone to talk to, and to have your back (for example if you find colleagues comments of you not eating cake difficult) can make your life that little bit easier.
- Don’t worry about it. Because sometimes, it is too hard, or you really don’t want to worry, you just want to enjoy!
By Chloe McLeod