Many of us will be travelling over this coming holiday period, often via car. I love a good road trip, but a key essential is handy road trip snacks. This is particularly important for those following a low FODMAP diet, as finding suitable road-side food options can be a challenge. So, we’ve compiled some of our favourite low FODMAP snack options which are perfect for road trips.
You can never go wrong with fruit, providing it is a low FODMAP variety/portion and stored appropriately that is. Some delicious low FODMAP summer fruits to pack on your next road trip are:
- Grapes(all kinds)
- Raspberries (60g serve limit, which equates to ~½ a 125g punnet)
- Blueberries (40g serve limit, which equals ~1/3 of a 125g punnet)
Nuts are a great road trip snack option. However, choosing a low FODMAP variety is important:
- Brazil nuts
As nuts are high in fat, too much could trigger symptoms. For this reason, it is best to stick to an appropriate serving size of 30g (aprox a small handful).
Like with fruit, veggie sticks are a great road trip option to munch on as long as you choose low fodmap varieties and portions…such as:
- Red capsicum
It is important to choose a low FODMAP muesli bar, as majority will not be. Some great options are:
- Carman’s dark choc espresso nut bar, original fruit free muesli bar and super berry muesli bar
- Food for health fruit-free bar range
Salty Savoury Snacks
For trips where you feel like something salty, the following are good low FODMAP options to choose:
- Plain/salted air-popped popcorn
- Plain rice crackers
- Thin rice cakes or Arnott’s corn cruskits (1 serve = 2 rice cakes/cruskits). Delicious with peanut butter or cottage cheese.
- Plain salted potato chips (avoid flavoured varieties)
If you’re a sweet tooth and enjoy the occasional biscuit,then consider taking the following low FODMAP biscuit options on your next road trip:
- Kez’s gluten-free biscuit range
- Arnott’s rice cookies
- Table of plenty mini dark chocolate rice cakes (individual portion packs are great!)
Happy holidays and safe travels from all of us at The Fodmap Challenge!
Image sourced from @Pinterest
Start feeling better now! By signing up to The FODMAP Challenge you will receive meal plans, recipe ideas, and regular support with other resources, such as a private Facebook group, to make this as easy for you as possible.